Director of Recreational Programming
Conserve School is looking for an energetic and dedicated individual with an interest in environmental sustainability and education to serve as the Director of Recreational Programming.
The Director of Recreational Programming position is a full-time, 12 month, live-on administrative salaried position.
The successful applicant will be able to assure that staff training, campus facilities, and campus equipment are ready to meet the school’s recreational and outdoor programming needs.
The successful applicant will demonstrate: experience in working with youth, a love of the outdoors, flexibility, a strong work ethic, enthusiasm, positivity, excellent role modeling, perseverance, and readiness to contribute to community.
Conserve School employees are self-motivated, team oriented, creative, and organized individuals capable of working hard in residential, outdoor, and academic settings. They have the maturity to contribute as full colleagues with faculty members in education and guidance of students. Conserve School employees must have a deep interest in working with teenagers.
Conserve School is a drug-free community, and all new employees will be tested for illegal drugs at the beginning of their employment term.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. ($35 - 37K) Meals are provided when students are on campus. Benefits include health insurance, employer contributions to retirement, and access to professional development funds. Other benefits include use of a school laptop, and access to the resources of Conserve School’s 1,200-acre campus, which includes access to eight lakes, more than 15 miles of trails for hiking, biking and skiing, and a Fitness Center. Applicants should use our Employment Application Form to upload their letter of interest, resume, and three letters of reference. Click here for our Employment Application Form.
For questions about this position, contact Stefan Anderson, Head of School, at 715-547-1308, or click here to email Stefan Anderson directly.
Conserve School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate development of policies and procedures for recreational and outdoor activities for all Conserve School programs,
- Coordinate the development and implementation of training for staff involved in recreational and outdoor activities,
- Provide direction to staff participating in recreational and outdoor program activities,
- Lead the development and implementation of recreational and outdoor activities for individuals participating in Conserve School’s supplemental activities such as visiting school groups, Family Weekends, Alumni Weekends, family camps, and facilities renters,
- Supervisor for the Recreational Education Teaching Fellow,
- Cochair ACA accreditation with the Director of Student Life,
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of staff involvement in recreational and outdoor programming,
- Manage budgets related to recreational and outdoor programming,
- Manage the Lowenstine Recreation Center (LRC),
Conserve School Students
- Provide support for teachers, as necessary, when they incorporate recreational or outdoor education components in their curriculum,
- Provide support for staff, as appropriate, when they offer recreational or outdoor education based enrichment activities,
- Team with the Outdoor Skills Teacher in the planning and implementation of Exploration Weeks and Solo Camping experiences,
- Manage the staffing of the LRC in coordination with the Director of Student Life,
- Team with the Director of Campus Services in the management of recreational sites and equipment distributed across campus, (i.e. the sledding hill, fishing pier, trail system, …)
- Maintain the inventory and replacement schedule for recreational and outdoor programming equipment,
Visiting Schools – Outdoor Sports
- Point person for visiting school outdoor sports group program,
- Coordinate scheduling of school group visits with the Meeting Planner, Director of Campus Services, and semester school activities,
- Maintain relationships with visiting school groups,
- Work with the Head of School to identify potential visiting schools,
- Develop and implement a marketing plan to recruit visiting schools,
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator in the creation of materials for promoting the school visit program including print and online,
Supplemental Programming Team
- Develop an array of educational and recreational activities, congruent with Conserve School’s mission, suitable for students in 5th through 11th grade,
- Develop programs for Conserve School students and outside groups that focus on Lowenwood and the surrounding area including, but not limited to: Flora and Fauna, History of the NorthwoodsOjibwa, logging—present, Geology, Limnology, Entomology (native bees, monarch tagging, butterfly habitat), Sustainable Outdoor Recreation,
- Design and implement schedules for visiting school groups,
- Lead activities for visiting school groups,
- Lead activities for local homeschool students,
- Lead afterschool and weekend activities for Conserve School students,
- Lead activities for community volunteers,
- Assist with marketing to and recruitment of visiting school groups,
- Assist with marketing of public and homeschool activities,
- Implement terrestrial invasive species eradication work in conjunction with the Ottawa National Forest. To the extent possible, combine this work with other supplemental programming,
- Participate in meetings and activities of the Leadership Team,
- Participate as needed, with the Teaching Fellow Coordinator, in the recruitment, screening, and selection of teaching fellows,
- Participate in scheduling and planning of orientations and workshops for new and returning staff,
- Participate in the establishment of policies and procedures relating to student life and academics,
- Participate in the planning and facilitation of programs for the opening and closing of each semester (including student orientation), as well as family weekends,
- Participate in reviewing student applications.
- Participate in the creation and management of materials designed for communication with students and their families, including handbooks and required forms,
- Participate in the Administrator on Call rotation,
- Meet with up to four student advisees regularly,
- Participate in outdoor programs, such as Exploration Week and Solos, as needed,
- Ensure compliance with requirements and standards set by AdvancED for academic programming,
- Ensure compliance with requirements and standards set by American Camp Association (ACA)
- Support and communicate to students, staff, guests, and community the mission, vision, and values of Conserve School.
- Assist students in developing a trusting, supportive living-learning community by teaching and rolemodeling the Conserve Code, (which includes refraining from the possession or use of illegal drugs),
- Maintain appropriate relationships, and practicing skills such as listening, communicating clearly and directly,
- Demonstrate flexibility, manage stress, make thoughtful decisions, seek help when needed, and resolve conflicts professionally.
- Ensure the safety and good order of students at all times. Staff are expected to take the initiative and keep or restore order wherever and whenever it is needed, and to respond to emergencies at all times, even if not on duty.
- Participate sincerely in the staff assessment and evaluation process.
- Participate, as needed, in all-school projects, including accreditation.
- Support the school and its leadership.
- Other duties as assigned
- Start Date: No later than July 1, 2019
- Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience (range $35 - 37K)
- Full-time with paid vacation and holidays
- Retirement Plan Match: 5% of salary
- Health Insurance: 80% of premium covered by Conserve School
- Life insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Short and long term disability
- Flex benefit plans
- Housing: Provided as condition of employment
- Use of the recreation facilities on the Conserve School campus
- Meals provided when students are on campus